It has been a spring/summer of ups, downs, lefts, rights, and just about everything in between. But here we are in the middle of summer, and I’m seeing myself having turned a corner.
The spring semester was, of course, busy. But thanks to my commitment to work smarter, I found myself finishing this year significantly less stressed than I was back in December! Now, I look forward to jumping into the new year with a renewed sense of excitement and energy.
A few updates on the past few months:
- We started a competitive winter colorguard this year, and in their first season the guard finished the year by taking 2nd place in their class at their final competition!
- Jazz Band received a “Superior” rating at District Jazz evaluation (first time ever!), and went on to the State level to receive an “Excellent.”
- Wind Ensemble received an “Excellent” at District Concert Band evaluation, on a very difficult program (probably too difficult by most accounts)
- Two great concerts and the graduation of a very strong senior class finished out the school year for us….
- …. but not before we were informed that our principal was being transferred to Miami Coral Park Senior HS (of all places… Coral Park is where I did my student teaching!). Our new principal is already here and has been a joy to work with so far!
- Marching Band for the next year is already underway. The group is smaller due to a significant number of incoming seniors deciding they didn’t want to return for their last year. We’ll miss them, but we are moving on with a great show theme: “Mission: Accepted”
As for me? I’m looking forward to not having to move this summer (first time in 3 summers I haven’t had to do a major move!). Enjoying a lot of books, TV Shows, videogames, food, and sleep, as well as coming up with some very exciting new ideas/plans for the coming year – more on that later.
As I sit around, I of course find myself looking for something else to do… it’s been a while since I have undertaken an online project, but I think it’s time to get back in the swing of things! So, in addition to becoming more active on Twitter (Follow me at @Zweibz7!), I am pleased to introduce:
BandHacker: Tips and Tricks for the Organized Band Director
This is a series of posts I will be writing here on this website (perhaps to expand to a dedicated domain later on…) that will be geared towards the little things I do day in and day out to help me work smarter. It will include digital software, web apps, mobile apps, and “low tech” solutions that help me be more productive and organized so I can spend more time teaching and less time on everything else! I already have a bunch of ideas for posts, and am excited to share them with you all.
I’ll be posting as often as time permits, so be on the lookout on any and all of my social presences (by connecting with me) for links to new posts when they’re up! You can also view all my BandHacker posts at any point right here.
Don’t worry, though, this blog won’t be overtaken completely by BandHacker posts! There’ll still be the usual (albeit infrequent) interjection of “this is what my life is like” posts 🙂
Until next time…